At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Saturday 17 February 2018

The Impossible Dream

Dear Mam,
Im sorry for getting on your nerves last night, for answering back when you criticised me, and then going off to cry afterwards. I'm sorry that I can't take criticism better, that I didn't manage to do what Matt did last weekend. I'm sorry for letting you down again. I promise I'll try better the next time.

Im also sorry for getting so stressed about the job situation and for not having a job by now in the first place. I'm sorry Im no longer going in April. Im sorry you're going to have to put up with me for this bit longer. I'm -

Stop, Em, a scornful voice raps out, and my hands ceases to write upon the little slip of card wedged into the soil of the plant pot.You can't just write....all that. A siimple I'm sorry will suffice, then. Oh but Em, you've bought her flowers countless times before. Don't you think she's going to get sick of it? That it'll be a source of irritation in itself??

But. But I'm upset because she's angry with me and I don't want that.

I want to make amends. Amends for what?? For just - everything. Everything I've ever done and keep on doing. I want - to be - the "perfect" daughter. I don't want her to be angry with me. I can't bear it! Why do I always have to be the inadequate one??...

Without warning, an image passes across my minds eye, a vision of mam and dad discussing my brother's progress in college, and what a "sound lad" he was. I felt like crying. I want them to talk about me like that, I thought, in agony. But no. I bet all they talk about when they discuss me is the fact I leave alot to be desired. No job, no career aspirations, and still moody and weird about her food and goes around with her head stuck firmly in the clouds.

Yes. That was what I wanted all along, I realise now. All along I, in the words of Moana, wished that I could be the perfect daughter. But like Moana was drawn back to the water's edge, time and time again I always drifted back to Ed, or depression, or something that wasn't compatible with my beautiful, perfect ideal.
I wanted everything to be perfect,
as immaculate as a cornflower-blue sky...

They say anorexia is often caused by something embedded within one's darker experiences of childhood. But the point is I had no dark experiences. All I knew, as that flaxen haired little girl, was kindness and affection; of constant expressions of love. Yet despite all that I created a crevice for myself. Come my early teens, I had latched onto this idea that I had to be perfect to be loved. That I had to be immaculate in every way in order to deserve respect, to earn affection, even friendship. So as well as harnessing ED as a way of bringing about what I back then saw as being the perfect body, I rooted out all the possible ways which I believed would enable me to achieve this golden goal of perfection. I was going to study non stop and get the best grades. I was going to go to Trinity College. I was going to be so demure, so polite, so flawless in every aspect of my character. I'd never lose my patience or make a mistake in any area of my life, whether that be personal, academic or social, as to do so would result in the dreaded and most loathsome thing of all: criticism.

But no. Now I realise I have to, that I must let go of that. I'm not perfect. And I never, ever will be. I see myself as infintely flawed, and at the same time , I realise that there's nothing I can do about that. But then why does my parents disapproval affect me so much? Do I need to develop a thicker skin and not let it get to me to such a great extent when we have these stupid, petty, insignificant little rows?

But yet I say this to myself all the time. Stop trying to please them. You're never going to be able to live up to their expectations. You've tried in the past to make them proud and it never worked, really. So stop. Just stop! Can't you see how pointless this is?

But there's this innate and very much childish desire deep inside me to please others, particularly when it comes to my parents. And I know all too well nothing quite feels as good as that feeling of knowing that I have succeeded in pleasing someone. It's like a sweet rush of warmth and serenity, a security. I feel secure and fulfilled having brought a smile to one's face or an approving, satisfied word. But on the opposite extreme, knowing that another person is displeased with me is equatable to having a mountain collapse on my head. Heavy rocks, tumbling down; bearing me down with them to lie broken and bleeding upon the floor. And last night was just one of those instances. Afterward I went upstairs alone and sat crying upon the floor of my room, trying to gather up the scraps of what was left of a perfect, beautiful day which had now been torn ruthlessly apart like a pretty dress ripped apart by jagged thorns. It felt like it was the end of everything.

Now then morning is here; the night has fled. Im sitting in the exact same place as I was yesterday, though the room now looks subtly different. Golden shafts of sunlight pour through the window, illuminating the tiny dust motes floating in the air; these circulate, like miniscule planets in orbit, in lazy circles before my eyes, performing a slow and and graceful dance to which there is no beginning, and no end. The sunlight advances further, touching and irradiating, outlining the frames of the dusty ornaments dispersed across the bookshelf, amplifying the bright colours of the little duvet strewn across my little bed. The room is different, but I still feel the same. I feel bitter and sad. I look at my bed and wish that I just could climb right back into it, pull the snug covers over my head, escape reality by leaping into the infinite oblivion of dreams.

But I realise now that I am essentially trying to live an impossible dream. It's no good trying to be the perfect daughter. I tried that in the past and it never got me anywhere. In fact, it only served to cause me more pain, and others too. I need to let go. Let go of the impossible dream. But to do so is as hard as fighting off sleep when you're already drained and exhausted. It's as tough as going against an instinctive drive or impulse, or urge; because that is what this feels like to me. And like ED I've been this way for as long as I can remember.To let go of the impossible dream seems, in itself, impossible. And Im afraid to do so, primarily more than anything, because I believe deep down that if I stop trying to please other people as much as I currently do, than they will lose all affection for me, will turn away with hardened faces. And there is nothing I fear more, that that. Of losing the people that I love. That is the nightmare from which I cower before and plead to not touch me. I could not bear to lose them. But am I not losing them, anyway? How do I walk the fine line between making others happy, but not in a way which causes me pain and unhappiness?







4 comments:

  1. Dear Emmy,

    I don't feel as wise as I would like to, but it sounds like two different things - one is the need for being loved, and the other is doubting what you can really trust that you could be loved as much as you need or as much as others are, let alone that you might not actually have to do anything other than just be yourself to have the love you need. (Is it more about not trusting that *you* could be loved; or about not trusting *them* that they could love that much, or is it both? It might make a difference ....)

    The things they "probably say/think/feel" are all about the insecurities in box number 2.

    Do you actually know that they say/think/feel all those things that you imagine? And that they don't ALSO experience the kind of love that just accepts you because you are you, no matter what? Conversely, what about with the "sound" brother. Is that really the ONLY thing they ever think/feel/say about him? I don't know your parents; parents are human beings and people have different luck. But it usually sounds like you have quite a loving family. My impression is that loving parents usually love each of their children to bits, but that doesn't stop them experiencing the length and breadth of human relationships in relation to each one of them, as well. But they would not actually change that. Not really.

    There is nothing in the world wrong with needing to be loved. All the time. Everyone does, really.
    But you don't need to do anything to deserve love or to be worthy of love. Hopefully your parents do have that steadfast love for you in a way that lies deeper than the rough and tumble of the day-to-day. Hopefully you can find a way to hold onto that trust? I am so sorry that you get so bruised by the rough and tumble ... .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so so much for this <3 I really appreciate you sharing this with me.
      And needless to say the next day, everything was ok again; it was as if the row had never happened...but I remember that moment of intense sadness and how despairing I felt when I wrote this post! Your advice was so helpful and allowed me to look at things in a new and fresh perspective <3
      And it's true, I know my parents care for me very much. And that they do have that steadfast love for me of which you speak. I know that because despite everything they've never given up on me. It's just in the aftermath of a row like that, I always tend to fall into these horrible bitter thinking patterns, latching onto these beliefs that they see me as a burden, or that they care more for my brother than then do me.
      But your message really helped me to rationalise and silence these thoughts. Thank you so so much <3

      Delete
  2. No one is "perfect" - your parents are not perfect, your brother is not perfect - everyone makes mistakes - that is life, that's how you learn and develop. Have faith and belief in yourself, of what makes you as a person and try to stop being as who you perceive others want you to be. Be yourself and love yourself for who you are. Continuing to strive to be perfect will only cause unnecessary stress to yourself because in your eyes you never will be. Allow yourself to just be you and try to learn to like the person you are. This is all about having confidence in your abilities and accepting who you are.
    I`m sure though that your parents are already proud of you and love you dearly. All families fall out from time to time - its not your fault its just the way families are. That doesn't mean you are any less of a daughter to them.
    Believe in yourself, take pride in your acheivements and try to stop worrying about what others think of you. You don`t need to put yourself down and give yourself such a hard time - just be yourself because that's all anyone can be - themselves xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 thank you so so much <3
      Yes, that is the key, I think; to stop worrying to such a great extent what others might think! Thank you so much for pointing these things all out to me. I've always struggled with self-compassion, but now that I am mentally stronger, maybe it's time for me to try and practice thinking in a different way about myself, and my relationship to others...

      Thank you so, so much for this. It might not seem so to you but your words really do mean alot to me and I derived alot of comfort and strength from them. xxx

      Delete