At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Sunday 22 March 2015

Ever So Lemony Buns!! :)

Following my posting of one of my all-time favourite recipes, Granny's Lemon Cake, back in December, (Click HERE to see my recipe!!! ;) ) I thought today I would share with you another baked creation which inevitably combines intense lemony moistness with irresistible cuteness. This baked creation being of course, the aptly named Ever-So-Lemony Bun, a scrumptious, airy, light-as-a-fairy cupcake which provides the perfect accompaniment to a large cup of tea on a chilly spring evening, or maybe for a nice little treat after dinner with a dollop of fresh, warm custard. ;)




Ingredients (makes 9 cupcakes :) )
  • 80 g butter/margarine, softened
  • finely grated zest of 2 lemons
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 180 g self-raising flour
  • 5 tbsp full-fat milk
  • 90 g caster sugar
  • 90 g light brown soft sugar
  • apricot jam to glaze
Method :)


  • Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160 c and line a muffin pan with 9 paper cases (cupcake or muffin, not bun or fairy cake ones - the latter are too small!! :o
  • Beat the butter or the margarine in a large bowl until very soft, and then add the eggs, the milk, the flour and the two sugars. Beat well for about 3 minutes until well incorporated.  After 2 minutes pause the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl before resuming mixing, so there is no mixture wasted.
  • Fold in the lemon zest with a large metal spoon, and then Divide the cake batter equally amongst the 9 cupcake cases. 
  • Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and golden. Leave the cakes in the muffin tray for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
  • When the cakes are cool, gently heat a couple of tablespoons of apricot jam in a saucepan. Brush a little of the warmed jam over the top of each cupcake to make a sticky, shiny glaze. 


No comments:

Post a Comment