At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Saturday 1 November 2014

Rockley Road Muffins :)

These have to be one of my signature bakes...and they are very special to me, as they remind me of the earliest stages of my baking adventure ;) I remember so well the first day I made these... my brother's eyes nearly popping out of his head as I lifted them proudly from the oven, resplendant in their gorgeous, gooey glory. He requested extra chocolatey muffins and boy, did he get them...honestly, take my word for it, these guys are HUGE. And yes, of course they are very chocolatey...this is what makes them so speical, after all...that and the marshmallows which give them a pretty molten top and a deliciously squidgy texture.
They are named after where my Granny lives in Leicester… I needed a name for them and since they are sort of like Rocky Road Muffins, I stuck with that one. And I can always rely on my granny to never turn down an offer of homemade cakes, so I thought I would dedicate this recipe to her. <3 They are AWESOME muffins but they are very big so be warned. ;)
 Makes 12 BIG muffins. 
Ingredients
·         225g plain flour
·         55g cocoa powder
·         1 tablespoon baking powder
·         1/8 teaspoon salt
·         50 g white chocolate, roughly chopped
·         75 g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
·         150g caster sugar
  • 60 g marshmallows, cut into thirds
  • 2 large eggs
  • 250ml full-fat milk
  • 90g butter, melted
Method
·         Preheat oven to 200 C / fan oven 180/Gas 6. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (you may want to grease the top too!).
·         Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate, sugar and marshmallows.
·         Beat the eggs lightly in another large bowl. Beat in the milk and melted butter.
·         Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Use a spoon to mix gently until just combined and there are no pockets of dry flour visible. Don't overmix or beat! Spoon the mixture in to the holes of the muffin tin.
·         Bake for 15-20 minutes. The muffins should be well risen and firm to the touch.
·         When you take the muffins out of the oven leave them to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove them from the tin by gently running a small knife around the holes and lifting them onto a wire rack.

·         They are so yummy eaten warm with the chocolate all oozing and gooey…but they will keep in a tin for a few days too and they can be frozen and warmed in a microwave before serving. For an extra indulgent chocolate treat…warm them in the microwave with a few chocolate buttons or other small chocolates pushed into the tops. Very naughty but undeniable nice. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment