At first glance it might seem that I am just a happy, normal girl who loves to bake and walk her dog. However, I have suffered with an eating disorder since I was 13. It was only in May 2014 when I realised that this Voice in my head was slowly but surely trying to kill me. And so began the long, hard, and painful journey which is recovery...

I want My Cocoa Stained Apron to be a special place...a place for reflection, memories, shared stories...and of course a little bit of cocoa-staining ;) Recovery might be the hardest thing you ever choose to do in this life. But it is also the bravest and best decision you will ever make.:)

Thursday 11 September 2014

The foods that I love…and which CAN help me to recover.:) (part 1)

I started the day off today, with this big bowl of bitty branflakes. Now one of my dearest friends and I are at odds over this matter: that being, the bits left at the bottom of a box of cereal. She hates them, and always throws the bag away when she gets to the very end, claiming that she just loves to open the new packet: with its guarantee of lots of big chunky bits of cereal easily accessible at the very top. But as for me…I could not disagree more. I adore the bits…I think it’s the way they absorb the milk more easily or something when they are like that, but whatever cereal it may be…whether that be Weetabix, bran flakes, malt wheats, special k…yep, it’s true to say I love them. In fact, when it’s oming near enough to the end of the packet, but there are still some large flakes left in the bag obstructing me from reaching the smaller bits…I have often opened the new box and actually transferred the large pieces to the new packet, before greedily taking the bitty ones for myself. Sad but true. Well, I don’t feel too guilty about it though…as everyone else in the house seems to be of a similar opinion to my friend when it comes to bitty cereal. Oh well, good news for me I suppose.;)
Bitty branflakes are quite possibly my favourite of all. And these weren’t just sort of bitty, either…they were really, really bitty. Because it was the end of a 1 kg box you see…we buy bran flakes in bulk as it’s much better value. So as soon as I came in from my walk I grabbed my bowl and my glass for warming milk, and a few minutes later I had my perfect breakfast. Easy to please? I guess so! But I promise you that every word of this is true.
Anyway, back to the main purpose of this post. The main reason why I mentioned the bitty bran flakes was this. As I was sitting eating them I thought about what I wanted to blog about today. And then I thought about how much I was enjoying my breakfast, and how much I would enjoy the various foods I would have today. Don’t you just love food? And then I decided, well, today I’d write about the foods that I love the most, that make me happy, which I just love to ok, bake, prepare, or eat. And you know, as I have said a few times before…when you’re trying to gain weight, it’s a great idea to focus on the foods you love the most. Because after all, it’s a lot easier to eat the foods you like and enjoy, then trying to force down some edible item which they say is really healthy for you and blah balah blah…but which you are not really enjoying and are reluctant to eat anyway???
·         Cereals…namely, Weetabix (big and small J), malt wheats, bran flakes (the bittier the better ;) ), Shredded Wheat (big and small), Weetaflakes, Special K, Shreddies, ready-brek etc etc etc…I like them all really, EXCEPT (yes I am really going to stun you with this revelation :o ) – I am not actually a big fan of the chocolatey based cereals such as cocoa pops. I usually have a good bit of tepid milk on my cereals in the morning…I love the way it absorbs easily into the cereal. Though hot or cold milk is pretty awesome too depending on what cereal it is. Hot on branflakes….hot or cold on Weetabix…it varies really. I love cereal, though. It’s definitely something I always rave at breakfast time, though I’d happily eat it as a snack too…or even for lunch, but I know that that it doesn’t really count as a proper lunch. ;)
·         Toast…surely, toast has to be one of the most comforting, most yummy foods in the whole wide world? Like cereal…I love it so, so much, and there’s never really any time during the day when I’m not in the mood for it. The smell of hot buttered toast…ahh, my mouth waters just to think of it. I like my toast simply spreaded, or with jam, or with peanut butter. And the most ideal piece of toast has to be the crust at the end of the loaf…soft on the inside and crusty on the outside…yumyumYUM!!
·         Hot chocolate…well I think you guys already know that. ;)

·         Apples…along with bananas, definitely my favourite fruit: but they have to be crisp and juicy…there is nothing more disappointing than biting into a lovely shiny looking aple and then discovering that it’s actually soft and horrible and tasteless! But if it's firm to the bite and sweet and crunchy..for a yummy quick snack an apple like that is just perfect. I love them and could easily munch my way through three a day if I was very hungry, but usually I just have one. ;) Granny Smiths and Pink Ladies are probably my favourites, though Braeburns are nice too, and coxes...I'm not THAT fussy really. ;)
Part 2 of Ganache-Elf's favourite foods coming very shortly. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment